I love to snack. I once attempted to keep to three meals a day, but quickly found that eating something small every 2/3 hours suited me best. Chilli popcorn is one of my favourites. I love that this is a quick and easy snack, it’s healthy and keeps well. What a perfect combination!
This has been adapted from a recipe found on Simply Recipes.
- Firstly, make the chilli mixture by chopping three fresh chillies in half and then slicing them into small pieces
- In a bowl add the chopped chillies, half the chilli seeds, a sprinkle of peperoncino, a splash of olive oil and a dash of white wine vinegar
- Stir and set aside. This sauce is hot and fiery! For a milder version, use two chillies and leave out the seeds. Alternatively, you can buy crushed chilli mixtures from most supermarkets/delis (In the UK, I recommend Waitrose’s Cooks Ingredients Easy on the Crushed Chillies)
- In a large pan on high heat, add a thin layer of olive oil and a generous amount of salt
- Add three kernels to the pan and with the lid on, wait until they have popped
- Add the rest of the popping corn and take off the heat for 30 seconds
- Shake throughout the cooking process and once all the corn has popped take of the heat, add the chilli sauce and stir through
- Empty into a bowl and dig in!
This is an ode to my chilli plants, which are growing on every windowsill in my house. This year I have selected a range – capscium, krakatoa, serrano and cayenne. They are still relatively young, but I love how despite starting out the same as seedlings they have begun to develop unique characteristics. I am hoping for a bumper crop, enough to make lots of chilli recipes.