This recipe is perfect for a quick and relatively healthy desert. Combining peaches with flaked almonds, vanilla and ice-cream works a treat. Refreshing and hugely satisfying dessert!
- Preheat the oven on a medium heat
- Wash four peaches, cut in half and remove the stone
- Add two handfuls of flaked almonds to a baking sheet and toast for four minutes. Keep on checking to make sure they do not burn.
- Meanwhile, add 50g of butter to a medium oven dish and melt. Remove from the oven and add 2 tablespoons of sugar and one teaspoon of vanilla paste. Stir together until combined
- Place the peaches with the cut side sitting flat in the oven dish and bake for 20 minutes. Halfway through, baste the peaches
- To serve, place two peaches on a plate, add a scoop or two of good quality vanilla ice-cream and scatter with the toasted almond flakes
One of my first food memories is of eating a peach. I can’t remember any of the details apart from being apprehensive to take my first bite. I thought it was too hairy to eat, but once I took the plunge, I was overjoyed by the taste and texture. I remember how the juices ended up coating my hands, face and school uniform while my mother desperately tried to clean me up.