I had an accident. I was aiming to make dhal but instead my cooking metamorphised into spiced red lentil soup. I have no regrets, it was delicious and I have been eating it non stop. The warming soup is perfect for acclimatising to winter (see my previous post regarding season denial).
Spiced Red Lentil Soup
- In a pan with boiling water, add one cup of red lentils. Cooked until ready, about 15 minutes
- In the meantime, chop one onion and add to a frying pan with oil (I used groundnut but you could use olive oil) on low heat.
- Once the onion has softened add 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1 teaspoon of ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric and 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook on a low heat
- Once the red lentils are ready, drain and add to the frying pan. Stir through and add 1 cup of vegetable stock to the pan
- After five minutes take off the heat and serve. I like mine with papads but poppadoms or chapatis also work well.