This week’s post is a perfect winter salad. Fresh but robust. It combines the wintery flavours of roasted beetroot and peppery steak with fresh baby spinach leaves.
- Preheat the oven to 170C
- Peel and chop the beetroot into halves
- Add to a baking tray and season with sea salt (works well with sea salt infused with chilli), fresh lemon thyme and unpeeled garlic cloves
- Bake for 1hr 25 mins, turning every 25 minutes
- Just before the beetroot is ready, season the rump steak with salt, pepper and olive oil
- Heat a frying pan on full heat and when very hot add the steak. I generally, cook mine for two minutes on both sides depending on the thickness
- Take out the steak and rest for at least the same amount of time as it cooked for. Then slice into strips
- Meanwhile wash the baby spinach and add to a bowl. Add 1/2 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and mix through. Then add the the roasted beetroot, garlic (take out of their skins) and steak
On Friday I took a rather adventurous walk from Waterloo to London Bridge in the snow. These are some of the pictures I took of the snowy southbank. London was deserted, providing an eerie feeling on the walk along the river Thames. Despite the freezing conditions, you can’t doubt the magical quality London has, even when the snow has set in.