After being ill with a nasty bug, their was nothing more comforting than a home made apple crumble. This week’s recipe is a simple gluten free version of the classic – using a mixture of ground almonds and GF plain flour to create a great crispy crumble topping.
- Preheat the oven to 190C
- Peel and cut two cooking apples into pieces
- Add to a small saucepan with 50ml of water and a teaspoon of soft brown sugar
- Simmer with the lid on for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile prepare the crumb, by adding 50g of gluten free flour, 85g of ground almonds and 45g of soft brown sugar to a bowl
- Then add 45g of soft butter, cut into small pieces. Using your hands, rub together until the mixture resembles large breadcrumbs
- Add the cooked apples to a dish together with two tablespoons of the juice. Top with the crumb and bake for 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and serve with cream or ice cream
On Easter Sunday, I took a long walk around my favorite park in London, Hampstead Heath. It had been an age since my last visit, and with the sun out, a perfect opportunity to survey the first signs of spring.