I’ve been craving coconut macaroons ever since I gobbled the last batch down last week. Easily done!
Coconut macaroons are often overlooked in the kitchen. For me, baking these little cakes are a simple pleasure. The flavours of the crisp coconut balanced with egg whites and sugar make them a delight, plus they are quick and easy! In addition they are naturally gluten-free.
Coconut Macaroons – makes 25
Takes – 25mins + cooling
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C and line two large baking trays with baking paper
- In a bowl mix 300 grams of desiccated coconut, 180 grams of caster sugar and 120ml liquid egg whites (5 egg whites)
- Once combined take a desertspoon of the mixture in your hands and mold to form small balls
- Place on the lined baking sheets. They should hold their form, but not be too sticky. If not, add some more egg whites to the mixture
- Cook for 15 minutes, until golden
- Once cooked, cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile melt 100 grams of chocolate in a suacepan (bain-marie) or microwave (on half heat for 2 minutes intervals, stiring between intervals)
- Flick melted chocolate over the macaroons until criss-crossed, or alternatively dip the flat bottom in chocolate (or both!)
- Leave to cool on a rack and enjoy. If you have self-control these can be left in an airtight container for a week.